Everthought is a great place to learn building and construction skills to help you work towards achieving your builder’s licence QLD. We guide our students through the best education through our on-site, blended, and online construction courses.
By applying with us and taking our builder’s courses, you receive all the technical and practical training and knowledge you need to succeed in any construction job. Become a professional and licensed builder through our wide range of training programs instructed by our trainers who are accredited trade experts.
From our CPC30220 Certificate III in Carpentry to our CPC50320 Diploma in Building and Construction (Management), you’re sure to grow and stand out from the rest of the crowd by studying at Everthought. Expand what you know and get access to better-paying opportunities by enrolling in our building and construction courses today!
What are the benefits of getting a builder’s licence?
While getting a builder’s licence in Queensland may seem a bit intimidating, there are actually quite a few benefits to working towards it. Here are some of the advantages that you will receive once you obtain your builder licensing:
Once you get your builder’s licence QLD, you can begin your own construction company and work as your own boss. With this in mind, you get access to a higher salary as you can directly control the hourly rate or pre-structure price charged to your clients. This means that, over time, you can actually earn more as a qualified contractor rather than working as an employee or apprentice in a regular construction company.
With your builder’s licence QLD, you can choose the jobs and clients you work with, assuming you qualify for something better than a low-rise builder’s licence. You can get access to a more enjoyable work environment, and you have more control over your work schedule especially if you work independently.
Flexibility in career
Once you’ve completed your builder’s registration and requirement, you can handcraft the trajectory of your career. Especially if you take additional courses with Everthought, you can opt to specialise and gain recognition for certain skills from plumbing to painting, expanding your employment options.
How do I qualify for a builder’s licence?
There are certain criteria you must meet before you can qualify for your builder’s licence QLD. The following is a brief guide on the different licence requirements:
While the amount of experience differs from state to state, you’ll most likely need two years of experience under the licence class scope of work (see specific requirements below) to qualify for a builder’s licence QLD.
It’s worth noting that a reference from an employer will most likely be needed, and Queensland in particular only considers paid work as part of your experience as a builder.
You can gain these two years’ experience working as a contractor or in an equivalent position:
- Building work on a class 1 or class 10 building
- Building work on classes 2 to 9 buildings with a gross floor area not exceeding 2000m², but not including Type A or Type B construction
- Building work that consists of non-structural work on a building, regardless of the class of the building or the gross floor area of the building
- Prepare plans and specifications if the plans and specifications are for the licensee’s personal use or for use in building work to be performed by the licensee personally
In addition to your two years’ experience, the state requires the applicant to have certain qualifications. In Queensland, the main qualification you need is a CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction.
To supplement this qualification, you also need to have one of the following:
- A current carpentry or bricklaying contractor licence or supervisor certificate, or an approved qualification that would allow the issue of such a licence
- Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
- CPC50220 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
- Bachelor of housing from an Australian university or a degree in civil engineering, structural engineering, architecture, housing, construction, construction management, construction economics, applied science (building), or quantity surveying
- Degree in building, construction, construction management, construction economics, applied science (building), or quantity surveying
How to get a builder’s licence in QLD?
To apply for builder’s licences in Queensland, you simply need to prepare some documentation regarding your certifications. You can select the appropriate licence type on the QBCC website and start filling out the Queensland builder licence application form.
To help you along the way, here’s the list of paperwork you might need to include before you lodge your application.
- Formal qualifications related to the class of licence you are going for
- Three written references
- Financial information proving that you meet the minimum financial requirements
- Proof of identity
Applications are processed within six to eight weeks, and you can opt to submit your application in person or by post. Successful applicants will be notified about their builder’s licence QLD by mail, which will contain pertinent information such as their licence classification and their licence number.
What are you waiting for? Jumpstart your journey towards your builder’s licence QLD by enrolling in an appropriate course here at Everthought!